House Plan Packages - CAD Set, Reproducible (Repro), PDF, 8 Set, 5 Set
Once you’ve chosen your house plan, you’ll need to decide which package to order. This isn’t as daunting as it seems. It comes down to two questions: do you plan to modify the design, and how many sets do you need. Follow the simple steps below to determine which package is best for you.
How Many House Plan Sets Will You Need?
- Owner (one set for notes, one for master file)
- Builder (generally requires at least three sets: one as a legal document, one for inspections, and at least one to give to subcontractors such as carpenters, electricians, and plumbers)
- Local building department (often requires two sets)
- Mortgage leader (usually one set for a conventional loan: three sets for FHA or VA loans)
- Using the above information, you should now be able to calculate how many plan sets you will need.
Do you think you'll make changes to the home plan's design, -e.g. Adding an extra bedroom?
- 80% of people do! if you're one of these people, here are the house plan packages you should consider:
- CAD - A CAD file is a digital copy of your home plan on CD Rom. This format is the easiest to modify, allowing for extensive changes, includes copyright release for making unlimited copies.
- Reproducible Master (Repro) - A Reproducible Master is one set of house plans printerd on Velium, Sepia, or Mylar. Designers cam make changes directly on the master copy. Includes copyright release for making 10-12 copies (on average).
- PDF - A PDF is a scanned set of house plans delivered in electronic format via email. Designers can make changes directly on the PDF document. Includes copyright release for making unlimited copies. Can be emailed directly to you and distributes electronically to your builder and sub-contractos, eliminating shipping costs and processing delays.
Do you plan to build the home as is (I.E. with no modifications to the design)?
- If so, here are the house plan packages you should consider:
- 8 Copy Construction Set - Printed on bond paper, the 8-set package is the most likely format needed to build most new homes. It is illegal to modify or copy a bond set.
- 5 Copy Construction Set - Printed on bond paper, the 5-set package is the minimum required to build some new homes. It is illegal to modify or copy a bond set.
- Note: If you need more than 8 sets, choose a CAD Set, Repro, or PDF. These formats allow you to make at least 10 copies. You can also purchase additional sets a la carte.